phpBB is a free PHP-based bulletin board forum software. This documentation will describe the steps to manually install the software onto a dedicated web server and tie it into a separate dedicated database server which is typical of a production environment rather than having an entire LAMP stack on the same machine which is assumed if you try to use the "apt install phpbb3" command.
Software Used in this Article this tutorial.
It will also be assumed you have a separate dedicated MariaDB / MySQL database server.
Wherever you see RED in this document, you need to substitute it for what your company uses. Use the list below as a template you need to have answered before you continue.
- Website FQDN (Fully-Qualified Domain Name): forum.mydomain.com
- Ubuntu Server name: srv-php
- Ubuntu Server IP address: 192.168.107.55
- Ubuntu Admin ID: administrator
- Ubuntu Admin Password: myadminpass
- Database Server (remote): srv-database (192.168.107.20)
- Database phpbb user: phpbbuser
- Database phpbb Password: phpbbuserpassword
- Mail server name: srv-mail
- Mail server IP address: 192.168.107.25
- Mail server port: 25
- phpBB Admin ID: phpbbadmin
- phpBB Admin password: phpbbadminpassword
- phpBB Admin email: firstname.lastname@example.org