WARNING - I am new to Prometheus and figuring it out and keeping notes while I do so.
To discuss this thread, please participate here: Ubuntu Forums
This thread will cover installation of a dedicated Ubuntu server, the Prometheus monitoring system and agents on various systems to monitor. This will replace my Nagios monitoring system. The server will be installed inside a virtual machine in vSphere running on ESXi servers. Notes will also be supplied for doing the same thing for VirtualBox on a Windows 10 PC.
* Install Prometheus (9090)
* Install Alert Manager (9093)
* Install Grafana (3000)
* Install Nginx (80)
* Configure Basic Authentication with Nginx
* Configure Nginx as reverse proxy for Prometheus services
* Install Node Exporter on Linux (9100)
* Install Node Exporter on Windows (9182)
* Monitor switches
* Dashboard Configuration
Tools utilized in this process
- Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS, 64-bit
- Prometheus 2.31.2
- Portable PuTTY 0.77
- VMware vSphere 6.0.0
- VirtualBox 6.1.36
The list below are sources of information that was helpful in the creation of this document.
- Prometheus Documentation
- Grafana Documentation
- Install prometheus and grafana on ubuntu
- How To Install Grafana 8 on Ubuntu 22.04|20.04|18.04
- Ubuntu Documentation
- Ubuntu Firewall Basics
This documentation will need to make use of some very-specific information that will most-likely be different for each person / location. And as such, this information will be noted in this section. They will be highlighted in red throughout the document as a reminder that you should plug-in your own value rather than actually using these "place-holder" values.
Under no circumstance should you use the actual values listed below. They are place-holders for the real thing. This is just a checklist template you need to have answered before you start the install process.
Wherever you see RED in this document, you need to substitute it for you will use in your environment.
- Ubuntu Server name: srv-monitor
- Ubuntu Server IP address: 192.168.107.57
- Ubuntu Admin ID: administrator
- Ubuntu Admin Password: myadminpass