Greetings and salutations,
I hope this thread will be helpful to those who follow in my foot steps as well as getting any advice based on what I have done / documented.
To discuss this thread, please participate here: Ubuntu Forums
Syncthing is a continuous file synchronization program. It securely synchronizes files between two or more computers in real time using a decentralized design (no centralized or 3rd-party server)
This tutorial will cover how to manually setup Syncthing on Ubuntu and Windows and setup synchronization between them.
Tools utilized in this process
- Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS, 64-bit
- Syncthing 1.1.4 for Ubuntu, Syncthing 1.18.1 for Windows
- Portable PuTTY 0.76
- VMware vSphere 6.0.0
- VirtualBox 6.1.30
The list below are sources of information that was helpful in the creation of this document.
This documentation will need to make use of some very-specific information that will most-likely be different for each person / location. And as such, this information will be noted in this section. They will be highlighted in red throughout the document as a reminder that you should plug-in your own value rather than actually using these "place-holder" values.
Under no circumstance should you use the actual values listed below. They are place-holders for the real thing. This is just a checklist template you need to have answered before you start the install process.
Wherever you see RED in this document, you need to substitute it for you will use in your environment.
- Ubuntu Server name: srv-gm
- Ubuntu Server IP address: 192.168.107.50
- Ubuntu Admin ID: administrator
- Ubuntu Admin Password: myadminpass
- Windows Server Name: srv-windoze
- Windows Server IP: 192.168.107.100
- Syncthing Admin ID: syncadmin
- Syncthing Admin Password: syncadminpass
- Syncthing Web Port: 8384
- Syncthing Sync Port: 22000
- Syncthing Discovery Port: 21027