How to Setup a Compiler for Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS

LHammonds
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you a filthy spam bot?: No

How to Setup a Compiler for Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS

------------ IN PROGRESS ------------

Greetings and salutations,

I hope this thread will be helpful to those who follow in my foot steps as well as getting any advice based on what I have done / documented.

To discuss this thread, please participate here: Ubuntu Forums

High-level overview

This thread will cover installation of a dedicated Ubuntu server for the purpose of compiling software from source code into .DEB packages for manual installation. It is not ideal to have compiling software on your production servers and it can take up a lot of space and get messy. But using .DEB packages makes it nice and neat if the official repository does not have the software/version you need. If you have any advice on doing things better, please let me know by replying on the Ubuntu forums link above.

Tools utilized in this process
Helpful links

The list below are sources of information that was helpful in the creation of this document.
Assumptions

This documentation will need to make use of some very-specific information that will most-likely be different for each person / location. And as such, this information will be noted in this section. They will be highlighted in red throughout the document as a reminder that you should plug-in your own value rather than actually using these "place-holder" values.

Under no circumstance should you use the actual values listed below. They are place-holders for the real thing. This is just a checklist template you need to have answered before you start the install process.

Wherever you see RED in this document, you need to substitute it for you will use in your environment.
  • Ubuntu Server name: srv-compile
  • Ubuntu Server IP address: 192.168.107.69
  • Ubuntu Admin ID: administrator
  • Ubuntu Admin Password: myadminpass
It is also assumed the reader knows how to use the VI editor. If not, you will need to beef up your skill set or use a different editor in place of it.
LHammonds
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you a filthy spam bot?: No

Software Installation

Software Installation

Each program will likely need it's own set of required software for compiling so you will need to adjust as needed. These steps are intended to get the most-commonly used software installed and you only need to add whatever is specific to the program you need.

Code: Select all

sudo apt install build-essential cmake checkinstall cvs subversion git-core mercurial apt-file