Greetings and salutations,
I hope this thread will be helpful to those who follow in my foot steps as well as getting any advice based on what I have done / documented.
To discuss this thread, please participate here: Ubuntu Forums
NOTE: The project I was going to use this for was a direct KVM solution but I went with Proxmox instead
This document will cover installation of a dedicated minimal Ubuntu server. This will be the "base" installation of the server as a prerequisite for other documents that will build upon it (e.g. KVM, NFS Storage). The server will be installed on bare-metal.
Tools utilized in this process
This documentation will need to make use of some very-specific information that will most-likely be different for each person / location. This variable data will be noted in this section and highlighted in red throughout the document as a reminder that you should plug-in your own value rather than actually using these "place-holder" values.
Under no circumstance should you use the actual values listed below. They are place-holders for the real thing. This is just a checklist template you need to have answered before you start the install process.
Wherever you see RED in this document, you need to substitute it for what your company uses.
- Ubuntu Server name: srv-minimal
- Ubuntu Server IP address: 192.168.107.61
- Ubuntu Server IP subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
- Ubuntu Server IP gateway: 192.168.107.1
- Internal DNS Server 1: 192.168.107.212
- Internal DNS Server 2: 192.168.107.213
- External DNS Server 1: 220.127.116.11 (Cloudflare)
- External DNS Server 2: 18.104.22.168 (Google)
- Ubuntu Admin ID: administrator
- Ubuntu Admin Password: myadminpass