RE-DESIGNING FOR MULTI-SITE AND BETTER SECURITY
Greetings and salutations,
I hope this thread will be helpful to those who follow in my foot steps as well as getting any advice based on what I have done / documented.
This is a Work-In-Progress topic so I will be updating this thread as I learn more about Ubuntu and WordPress.
To discuss this thread, please participate here: >>> INSERT LINK <<<<
This thread will cover installation of a dedicated web server, Apache web service and a test and production WordPress web sites. The server will be installed inside a virtual machine running on VMware ESXi servers. If you have any advice on doing things better, please let me know. I love feedback and learning better ways of doing things!
Tools utilized in this process
- Ubuntu Server 18.04.1 LTS, 64-bit
- Apache 2.4.29
- PHP 7.2.7
- MariaDB 10.3.9
- WordPress 4.9.8
- Portable PuTTY 0.70
- VMware vSphere 6.5.0
The list below are sources of information that helped me configure this system as well as some places that might be helpful to me later on as this process continues.
This documentation will need to make use of some very-specific information that will most-likely be different for each person / location. And as such, I will note some of these in this section. They will be highlighted in red throughout the document as a reminder that you should plug-in your own value rather than actually using my "place-holder" value.
Under no circumstance should you use the actual values I list below. They are place-holders for the real thing. This is just a checklist template you need to have answered before you start the install process.
Wherever you see RED in this document, you need to substitute it for what your company uses. Use the list below as a template you need to have answered before you continue.
- Web Server name: srv-wordpress
- Fully-Qualified Domain Name (FQDN): wordpress.mydomain.com (Production)
- Fully-Qualified Domain Name (FQDN): dev.mydomain.com (Development / Test)
- Web Server IP address: 192.168.107.30
- Web Server Admin ID: administrator
- Web Server Admin Password: myadminpass
- Email Server IP (remote): 192.168.107.25
- Database Server IP (remote): 192.168.107.20
- Database root Password: mydbrootpass
- Production Database WordPress install user: wp-prod-installuser
- Production Database WordPress install password: wp-prod-installuserpass
- Production Database WordPress normal user: wp-prod-user
- Production Database WordPress normal password: wp-prod-userpass
- Test Database WordPress install user: wp-test-installuser
- Test Database WordPress install password: wp-test-installuserpass
- Test Database WordPress normal user: wp-test-user
- Test Database WordPress normal password: wp-test-userpass