[WIPz] Vvardenfell Glass

This forum is available for the general public to view.
LHammonds
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you a filthy spam bot?: No

[WIPz] Vvardenfell Glass

Post by LHammonds » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:48 am

NOTE: This is the master Work-In-Progress thread. Feedback can be given at Bethesda or TESNexus or The Storm Raven Library or TESEyeCandy.

Description

This mod is a re-imagined armor and weapon set for Oblivion that is based on the glass armor in Morrowind.

Expected Release Date: When it's done.
Expected Level of Difficulty: Hard, Level 20+

Screenshot Gallery

PhotoBucket Gallery

Light / Heavy Shield models completed on 5/26/2008 (Modified 3/21/2009) Alternate View
Spear model completed on 5/25/2008
Battlestaff model completed on 5/25/2008
BattleAxe model completed on 4/10/2008
Custom Glass Dagger model completed on 3/31/2008
Mace (collage) model completed on 3/26/2008
Dagger (collage) model completed on 3/18/2008
Claymore model completed on 3/16/2008
Shortsword model completed on 3/9/2008
Spear model completed on 2/11/2008
Staff model completed on 2/11/2008 (updated on 5/25/2008)
Longsword model completed on 12/23/2007
Warhammer model completed on 12/23/2007

Videos

Vvardenfell Glass Armor Test #1 - Youtube (low-res) or TESNexus (high-res).
Vvardenfell Glass Armor Test #2 - Youtube (low-res) or TESNexus (high-res).

Features
- 8 New Enemies ranging from tough to very challenging and presented in a serial progression
- 9 New (Re-Modeled / Re-Textured) Glass Atronachs that are made of transparent material.
- 13 uniquely modified glass weapon meshes in 9 different colors = 117 weapons.
- 13 pieces of unique glass light armor (Male/Female) meshes in 9 different colors = 117 armor pieces
- 13 pieces of unique glass heavy armor (Male/Female) meshes in 9 different colors = 117 armor pieces
- 2 shield meshes in 9 different colors = 18 shields

That's 42 new meshes with 378 pieces in-game. whew!!!

I think jcarl only had one armor set in mind when he started this. muhahahaha!!!

Current Plan

Mod Varient #1 - Vvardenfell Glass Armor
- Adds unique enchanted armor that must be taken from enemy PCs. Each enemy will have a different colored set with different enchantments and different weapons.
- There will be light and heavy armor that is visually different (heavier-looking).
- Each enemy NPC carries a unique enchanted armor set and one unique enchanted weapon that they specialize in.
- When enemy NPCs are conquered, vendor shops will sell non-enchanted versions of their armor and the ENTIRE set of matching (colored) weapons.
- One set of unique non-enchanted armor that will be very close in appearance to Morrowind Glass armor.
- Various sets of unique enchanted armor will be available. Currently in Black, Blue, Cyan, Green, Orange, Purple, Red, White and Yellow.
- Various sets of non-enchanted armor will be made available for purchase at vendor shops (more will be appear over time in the vendor's inventory)
- Special Spell: Vvardenfell Glass Fire - This spell is available when all pieces of an armor set are worn together. It will set the armor on fire (color based on armor color), 60 second duration, Novice in Illusion requirement, 15 foot radius of light, 100% resistant to fire, 100% resistant to frost, 50% weakness to magic.
- Special Spell: Vvardenfell Glass Vision - This spell is available when all pieces of an armor set are worn together. It will set enable night vision for 60 seconds and have a Novice in Illusion requirement.
- Estimated Size: Uncompressed: 300 MB, Compressed: 60 MB

Mod Varient #2 - Oblivion Glass Replacer
- Meshes and Green textures placed and named exactly like Oblivion glass armor which will replace Oblivion Glass with Vvardenfell Glass.
- No .esp required...thus no stat changes or anything...just a visual change.
- Estimated Size: Uncompressed: 30 MB, Compressed: 3 MB

Historical Section

While sending PMs back and forth to each other, jcarl sent me a particular PM on July 30th, 2007 at 12:37 PM
I decided to give a new glass armor a go
This marks the very beginning of this project and moves it from the "wouldn't it be cool" talking phase to actual development.

To-Do List

- Create menu icons for all weapons.
- REDO (PC CRASH): Re-enter all armor variants, NPC battles, creatures and FX spells.
- REDO (PC CRASH): Re-match fire shader effects to finalized glass colors.
- MODELING: Create helmet egm files (maybe).
- CS KIT: Add fire sound FX whenever the fire spell is used.
- CS KIT: Adjust NPC enemy levels of difficulty.
- CS KIT: Apply and adjust enchantments.
- PACKAGING: Figure out how to allow people to play with the armor if they don't want glowmaps (requires edited mesh and deleted _g.dds file).
- PACKAGING: Create final build with OMOD Conversion Data.
- PACKAGING: Upload to TESNexus and Planet Elder Scrolls (file mirrors to MediaFire, FileFront, 4Shared)
- OPTIONAL (After Release): UFF/Robert version of the armor.
- OPTIONAL (After Release): Create some re-invisioned Morrowind weapons.
- COMPLETE: Create menu icons for all armors. 8/8/2010
- REDO (PC CRASH): Fix all glowmaps. 6/30/2010
- REDO (PC CRASH): Fix all normal maps. 6/25/2010
- REDO (PC CRASH): Re-create folder structure. 6/1/2010
- OPTIONAL: Light version of armor for females (vanilla body). 3/13/2010
- OPTIONAL: Heavy version of armor for females (vanilla body). 3/12/2010
- MODELING: Fix/Optimize ground meshes for light armor. 3/12/2010
- MODELING: Create ground meshes for heavy armor. 3/12/2010
- REDO (PC CRASH): Re-build original Blender models from NIF files, optimize and improve from there. 3/10/2010
- REDO (PC CRASH): Re-create glass atronachs. 3/9/2010
- REDO (PC CRASH): Create color variants. 3/8/2010
- MODELING: Heavy towershield. 3/7/2010
- OPTIONAL (After Release): Retexture new glass weapons to match armor. (thanks to themythofstrider)
- COMPLETE: RESTORE: Put all recovered files into a single archive and distribute to various other authors for backup.
- COMPLETE: Create special re-textured versions of Oblivion Glass weapons for each NPC enemy to match their armor color.
- COMPLETE: Modify the original Oblivion glass weapons to make the glass transparent.
- COMPLETE: Choose enchantments for unique armors.
- COMPLETE: Create ground meshes for light armor.
- COMPLETE: Hand a copy of the 1st pre-alpha plugin and files to jcarl.
- COMPLETE: Integrate separated NIF meshes and texture updates.
- DROPPED: Create a spell that contains the script for green-tinted view. (this would cause shader and compatibility issues)

LHammonds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [WIPz] Vvardenfell Glass

Post by LHammonds » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:04 pm

Just got Oblivion installed on the make-shift PC I have at home so I will be able to start working on the plugin and model work again! Yippie!!!!

I will have to remember to save often because something is wonky with the PC where it just decides to reboot itself. This issues is independent of the OS since I had Win7 installed when I first noticed it and completely re-formatted the PC and installed WinXP for stability. :comphit:

I have a thread over at TESNexus where I am researching components to build a new PC and may actually have it up-and-running before the end of the year!!! That will take my gaming and modding to a whole new level! :read:

LHammonds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LHammonds » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:01 pm

My new PC was built in early January 2010 but family matters came up and I probably did not even startup the PC but maybe 4 or 5 times during that month and part of February.

Things settled down fairly well last week and I have prepped my rig to be an Oblivion developer platform once again and my 1st project was to get Vvardenfell Glass going again, evaluate the extent to which I had lost key source files and rebuild what has been lost.

As of today, I have most of the models back to where they were and have actually been improving them.

All source textures were lost except the very original TIFF files (diffuse only) for the armor set from Grimdeath way back when this project first started. I finally have the source textures re-created (Diffuse, Normal map and Glow map) and ready to begin the color offshoots. Since so much was lost, I am actually playing around with the folder structure and optimizing how it will be distributed (and saved a quite a bit of space by utilizing shared files)

While re-working the armor models, I have improved them slightly and optimized them which saves a bit more on the final mod size as well as performance gains.

LHammonds

LHammonds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LHammonds » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:16 am

The heavy armor is now properly separated into 5 pieces so each piece can be worn by itself and mix with others.

Once changes are complete to the armor, I'll then focus on making ground models and a female version.

I'll probably re-visit the light armor to see how it looks with additional glass shards.

LHammonds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LHammonds » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:17 pm

I started working on the textures today and was able to get pretty far. I had originally lost all my weapon textures but themythofstrider created a new set of textures that better fits the armor textures. Unfortunately, he only gave me the compressed DDS files. When I found that the alpha layers needed some manipulation, I asked for the source files but unfortunately, his PC crashed along with the source textures...that means the textures will be compressed two times which isn't a good idea but we have no choice.

The texture templates for the armor and weapons are now all prepped for easy color changes and I have already finished making all the color variants and they match very well in-game.

I have a fairly descent normal map that I am using right now but the finalized version will have the glass 100% smooth (currently it rough like the metal).

LHammonds

LHammonds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LHammonds » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:22 am

I thought of a great idea regarding the glass creatures. I wrote down the idea on paper and worked it out. It is going to require a bit of scripting to make it all work though but I think it will be well worth the extra work. :read:

LHammonds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LHammonds » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:50 am

I reached a "finished" point with the modeling of the heavy armor. I also created the ground meshes. While doing this, I looked over the light armor ground meshes and decided they needed some fixin since I had learned a LOT since I first created them. Now the collision models are much more optimized and not such a strain on the system...and they are 100% accurate to the shape of the mesh. :rock:

I am going to work on the shape of the heavy shield a bit more to make it look even heavier.

After that, I will crank out the female versions of the light and heavy armor (vanilla body)...which shouldn't take too long. Wow, that's 4 sets of modeled armor!

No time for screenshots...besides, it isn't much different that what has already been shown. More than anything, the changes are made to look good while moving around in-game with the light reflecting off it. Screenshots simply cannot do it justice. :poke:

LHammonds

LHammonds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LHammonds » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:30 pm

The light and heavy armor is now fitted to the vanilla female body.

EDIT 3/18/2010:

Created menu icon templates for all the weapons. I also did it using just Paint.NET in order to create an additional tutorial using that tool.

LHammonds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LHammonds » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:05 am

I just finished scripting a variety of spells for creature summons that seem to work fairly well. At lower levels, you will only be able to summon one creature..later you'll get two....then three.

I was excited to see that all that coding to make multiple summons worked the 1st time when I tested it in-game. I had to of fallen asleep about half a dozen times while making that script. :snooring:

Oh, and the creatures are custom-made! They are based off the Frost Atronach but modified to fit the theme. :ahhh:

LHammonds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LHammonds » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:37 am

I've been working on the material settings, glow FX and texture colors. Got most of it worked out now. Just making some tweaks to the color levels of the shield to better match the armor and I think I will be ready to start mass producing the color variants. Up to this point, I have only been working on the green versions. Once I am happy with the light/heavy/male/female sets, it will be a simple but tedious task to crank out the other color variations. The textures are done but it is just a matter of copying all the green NIFs to the other color folders and updating the texture paths.

LHammonds

LHammonds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LHammonds » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:42 pm

Every time I looked at screenshots of the armor, I kept hating on the greaves because they just didn't quite "match" the rest of the armor look. Well, now I'm finally happy with it.

Working on the normal map tweaks now and expect to be done with the greaves textures in about 2 more hours worth of work. (yes, I'm slow...I like check my work over and over especially when I'm about to flag an item as completed and never go back to it)
2010-06-30 NewGreavesTex.jpg
New Greaves Texture

LHammonds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LHammonds » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:09 pm

Here is a quick overview of the assets I need to finish before I can continue working on the plugin.

EDIT: 7/27/2010 - Armor menu inventory icon templates completed...just need to create all the color variants...but too sleepy to do that at the moment.
EDIT: 8/8/2010 - All armor menu inventory icon color variants completed.

Armor Status Chart
ObjectMenu Inventory IconModelGND ModelColor MapSpecular MapNormal MapGlow Map
Male Light CuirassDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDone
Male Light GauntletsDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDone
Male Light GreavesDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDone
Male Light BootsDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDone
Male Heavy CuirassDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDone
Male Heavy GauntletsDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDone
Male Heavy GreavesDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDone
Male Heavy BootsDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDone
Female Light CuirassN/ADoneN/ADoneDoneDoneDone
Female Light GauntletsN/ADoneN/ADoneDoneDoneDone
Female Light GreavesN/ADoneN/ADoneDoneDoneDone
Female Light BootsN/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/A
Female Heavy CuirassN/ADoneN/ADoneDoneDoneDone
Female Heavy GauntletsN/ADoneN/ADoneDoneDoneDone
Female Heavy GreavesN/ADoneN/ADoneDoneDoneDone
Female Heavy BootsN/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/A
Light HelmetDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDone
Heavy HelmetDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDone
Light ShieldDoneDoneN/ADoneDoneDoneDone
Heavy ShieldDoneDoneN/ADoneDoneDoneDone
Weapon Status Chart
ObjectMenu Inventory IconModelColor MapSpecular MapNormal MapGlow Map
BattleaxeDoneDoneDone???
BattlestaffDoneDoneDone???
Bow??????
DirkDoneDoneDone???
Quiver/Arrow??????
Claymore 1DoneDoneDone???
Claymore 2?In Progress????
DaggerDoneDoneDone???
LongswordDoneDoneDone???
MaceDoneDoneDone???
ShortswordDoneDoneDone???
SpearDoneDoneDone???
StaffDoneDoneDone???
Throwing SpikeDoneDoneDone???
WaraxeDoneDoneDone???
WarhammerDoneDoneDone???
Armor Color Variation Chart
ArmorBlackBlueCyanGreenOrangePurpleRedWhiteYellow
HelmetDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDone
CuirassDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDone
GauntletsDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDone
GreavesDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDone
BootsDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDone
ShieldDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDone
Creature Status Chart
CreatureModelColor MapSpecular MapNormal MapGlow MapSound FXAnimationsCan Summon?
Black AtronachDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneIn ProgressDoneYes
Blue AtronachDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneIn ProgressDoneYes
Cyan AtronachDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneIn ProgressDoneYes
Green AtronachDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneIn ProgressDoneYes
Orange AtronachDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneIn ProgressDoneYes
Purple AtronachDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneIn ProgressDoneYes
Red AtronachDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneIn ProgressDoneYes
White AtronachDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneIn ProgressDoneYes
Yellow AtronachDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneIn ProgressDoneYes
NOTE: Might create summon hostile and summon friendly spells. Will have to think about this one.

LHammonds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LHammonds » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:59 am

All armor color variations are done.

All armor specular maps are done.

All armor normal maps are done.

All armor glow maps are done.

Here is what the armor looks like in Blue.
VVGlassArmorMaleBlue.jpg
Male Armor in Blue
VVGlassArmorFemaleBlue.jpg
Female Armor in Blue

LHammonds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LHammonds » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:41 am

Plugin Status

This is what I've completed so far:

108 Light armor entries added. (6 armor items) X (2 enchantment modes) X (9 colors) (July 24, 2010)
108 Heavy armor entries added. (6 armor items) X (2 enchantment modes) X (9 colors) (September 23, 2010)
9 Heavy armor scripts and 9 Heavy armor special FX scripts (August 8, 2010)
9 Light armor scripts and 9 Light armor special FX scripts (July 24, 2010)
9 NPC Boss enemies and 9 Boss scripts (July 24, 2010)
9 NPC Vendor Chests (July 24, 2010)
9 creatures added that can be summoned (8/30/2010)
27 summon creature spells (School = Conjuration) (1 creature for Novice, 2 creatures for Journeyman, 3 creatures for Master, 9 colors) (8/30/2010)

This is what I have left to complete (this is not a complete listing...just what is on my current radar)

Finalize weapons & create color variants
Finalize enchantment scripts for each armor piece (different for each set...yikes...what a chore to code)

EDIT: 1/11/2011

I've included a bonus armor set in various colors. Each armor set consists of 4 models (2 body, 2 ground) and in 9 colors, that is 36 models. But lucky for you guys, they share an existing texture map and therefore do not significantly increase the size of the mod! Each set of NIFs are 1.8 MB which means total size will be 64 MB increase. The menu icons are done and all entries added to the plugin but this will only be light armor, single gender and no enchants. Now I just need to figure out the best way to implement the armor.

With the inclusion of these new assets, that brings my internal version number to 0.4.

The complete mod as a compressed 7z archive weighs in at 22.4 MB and extracted, it is 151 MB. That is right at 1/2 the size of my original estimation and that is with an additional creature and armor set!

EDIT: 2/19/2011

Toying around with an additional creature which may or may not make it into the final cut. At this point, I am just focusing on things that to make the playing of the mod more fun / interesting.

EDIT: 3/14/2011

Making the "fun" part of the mod now. I had the initial setup done but now I'm going through like a fresh perspective and writing down what seemed odd, what I thought I should expect, what I'd like to have seen, etc. Basically trying to make it a fun mod to play. Now that I have all these resources available, it is easy to pick-n-choose combinations, layouts and so on.

EDIT: 4/4/2011

Since most of what I'm doing now is plugin work (and some slight weapon model/texture changes), there really isn't anything that I will be posting since I'd rather have the actual gameplay be a surprise instead of telling everyone all the things I'm doing in it. So please continue to be patient. The next update will probably be a final movie trailer just before release of the mod.

EDIT: 4/12/2011

I had a dream about being attacked by thugs which gave me an idea on how to better improve how the enemy is presented in this mod. I am researching how to go about making it work in the CS the way I want it to.

EDIT: 4/17/2011

Tested the new script and works like a champ. After I finish implementing the new system for all enemies, I will need to test and refine the AI packages based on play testing.