I hope this thread will be helpful to those who follow in my foot steps as well as getting any advice based on what I have done / documented.
To discuss this thread, please participate here: Ubuntu Forums
This thread will cover installation of a dedicated Ubuntu server and MariaDB database. MariaDB is a drop-in replacement for MySQL which is enjoying feature/security/performance updates by the original MySQL team while MySQL languishes under the thumb of Oracle. The server will be installed inside a virtual machine in vSphere running on ESXi servers. Notes will also be supplied for doing the same thing for VirtualBox on a Windows 7 PC. Migration of data from an older MySQL server to the new one will be covered. Although there are some VMware-specific and VirtualBox-specific steps, they are very few and the majority of this documentation will work for other Virtual Machines or even directly installed onto a physical machine (e.g. bare-metal install). If you have any advice on doing things better, please let me know by replying to >>this thread on the Ubuntu forums<< (need to create).
This thread will also cover some custom scripts to help automate tasks such as backing up, automatically growing the file system when free space is low, etc.
Tools utilized in this process
- Ubuntu Server 16.04.3 LTS, 64-bit
- MariaDB 10.1.28
- Portable PuTTY 0.62
- VMware vSphere 6.0.0
- VirtualBox 5.1.18
The list below are sources of information that was helpful in the creation of this document.
This documentation will need to make use of some very-specific information that will most-likely be different for each person / location. And as such, this information will be noted in this section. They will be highlighted in red throughout the document as a reminder that you should plug-in your own value rather than actually using these "place-holder" values.
Under no circumstance should you use the actual values listed below. They are place-holders for the real thing. This is just a checklist template you need to have answered before you start the install process.
Wherever you see RED in this document, you need to substitute it for you will use in your environment.
- Ubuntu Server name: srv-mysql
- Internet domain: mydomain.com
- Ubuntu Server IP address: 192.168.107.27
- Ubuntu Server IP subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
- Ubuntu Server IP gateway: 192.168.107.1
- Internal DNS Server 1: 192.168.107.212
- Internal DNS Server 2: 192.168.107.213
- External DNS Server 1: 220.127.116.11
- External DNS Server 2: 18.104.22.168
- Ubuntu Admin ID: administrator
- Ubuntu Admin Password: myadminpass
- Email Server (remote): 192.168.107.25
- MySQL root Password: mysqlrootpass
- Windows Share ID: mysqlshare
- Windows Share Password: mysqlsharepass